About Beach Cities Learning Center
Beach Cities Learning, Manhattan Beach was founded in 2009 by Dan Campbell, a credentialed teacher with over 20 years of public education service. As an innovative non-public school program Beach Cities Learning serves the educational needs of students between the ages of 6 to 22. Designed to meet the needs of special education students and created to provide a stimulating, supportive, academically challenging and therapeutic program for students struggling in the public school arena. Beach Cities Learning serves children with special educational classifications as noted in their Individual Education Program (IEP).
Beach Cities Learning is a WASC accredited non-public school serving students who have historically been unsuccessful in traditional academic settings.
Students attending Beach Cities Learning typically have documented disabilities including emotional, behavioral, and educational disabilities that have impacted their ability to make successful academic progress, and require a more restrictive environment than the public school setting. Students attending Beach Cities Learning enter through the IEP process.
Student entrance criteria to the school program include:
- An impaired ability to learn which cannot be explained by intellectual, sensory or health factors;
- Difficulty building or maintaining satisfactory relationships with peers and/or adults in the school environment;
- Difficulty staying on task and completing school work
- Anxiety or depression which makes attending school difficulty
- A tendency to develop physical symptoms or fears associated with personal or school problems which impairs school functioning;
The duration of time that a child remains in the program is student specific. Beach Cities Learning works closely with school districts in helping students meet their educational needs in the least restrictive environment. Students advance through an academic and behaviorally oriented level system representative of their progress toward personal and IEP-based goals. Watch our overview video here.
The objective of Beach Cities Learning is to provide students with the tools to successfully reintegrate back into the public school system.